Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What Do I Want For Christmas???

Yesterday, I drove to my home town (an hour away) and talked to a MOPS group there! Josie was the first topic of conversation and our journey with her and Down syndrome! The second topic and main reason I was there was Jacob! I talked about our adoption and how it has come to pass! How we got to this point, where we go from here and our longing to bring this little boy home to be part of our family! It was the most wonderful group of women! They had some questions.... I am sure there would have been more if I didn't have to head out cause Josie was sick at school. (Oh the joys of motherhood!! :-) ) Very good questions came from this group! I felt very honored to have been asked to come speak to them.

I planned on speaking for 10 minutes, which in the drive up, seemed like an eternity. However, I felt the words just flowed out of my mouth without much thought! I guess when you feel so passionately about something you could speak about it for hours. I realized up there that not only is this my passion, but this is my life. I never thought there was anything special about me or the life that I lead. We are pretty normal people. Josie is such a joy and why wouldn't we want another little person just like her in our home? That doesn't make me a saint .. maybe just a loving mother who accepts her children for exactly who they are...one that doesn't place labels on them....expects them to live up to their full potential (whatever that might be)....disciplines them all equally....loves them each for their own unique qualities!!

So to the topic of this post ... What Do I Want For Christmas?? Well, for one, I want Jacob home! I want him to experience the love of a mommy and daddy as well as sisters and a brother! I want him to be showered with kisses and snuggles and for him to have a chance to live up to his full potential! I love him unconditionally already!!

Secondly, I want people to know that mom's and dad's who are raising special needs children, aren't saints... we are regular people with regular lives doing regular things. Those that are adopting ANOTHER child with Down syndrome aren't hoping to have an extra special place in heaven....they are doing it because GOD has called them to do it and while it is a path less traveled, it is a rewarding and worthwhile path!

Thirdly and most importantly, I want people to understand that a DIAGNOSIS NOT A PROGNOSIS!!! Josie is so much more than Down syndrome... that is just one of the many parts of her, but certainly not the most important part! She is our daughter and that is the most important part, the rest is just....well.....so secondary! Jacob, God willing, will be our little boy first and foremost with just a little something extra that doesn't define him, but is just a part of him!!!

6 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Oh gosh, I love your new header!!!!

This was a great post!!!! Truer words have never been said!

gillian said...

Beautiful post, B! You said it very well!

Ellen Stumbo said...

What a great post! It is so true!

And you did a phenomenal job, you really touched hearts and got us talking and thinking. For some of us, dreaming and longing to someday walk this same road of adoption :)

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful and well said! I'm sure you did an excellent job!!!

Blessed with Boys said...

Right on! We, as parents to children with special needs, have to make it our mission to educate people on raising children with Down syndrome! God will use us in amazing ways to create a future for these AMAZING children! great post!

Our Story: Continued said...

Well said! I love everything you said!