Sunday, March 8, 2009

IEP

For those people reading our blog, and know the words IEP, you will appreciate this!  For those that are not familiar, and IEP is an Individual Education Plan.  Children with special needs (any kind of special needs for education) will have one of these outlining what their teaching plan is for your child.  Often times we as parents, do see eye-to-eye with educational staff on what is appropriate for our kids!  This process can be very stressful as it happens on a yearly basis and sometimes more often for certain kids!  Here is a cute poem to lend some humor to the IEP Process:

 

The IEP

I do not like these IEPs

I do not like them, Jeeze Louise

We test, we check

We plan, we meet

But nothing ever seems complete.

Would you, could you

Like the form?

I do not like the form I see

Not page 1, not 2, not 3

Another change

A brand new box

I think we all

Have lost our rocks.

Could you all meet here or there?

We could not all meet here or there.

We cannot all fit anywhere.

Not in a room

Not in the hall

There seems to be no space at all.

Would you, could you meet again?

I cannot meet again next week

No lunch no prep

Please hear me speak.

No, not at dusk. No, not at dawn

At 4 pm I should be gone.

Could you hear while all speak out?

Would you write the words they spout?

I could not hear, I would not write

This does not need to be a fight.

Sign here, date there,

Mark this, check that

Beware the students ad-vo-cat(e).

You do not like them

So you say

Try again! Try again!

And you may.

If you will let me be,

I will try again

You will see.

Say!

 

I almost like these IEPs

I think I'll write 6003.

And I will practice day and night

Until they say

"You got it right!"

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Love it!

Blessed with Boys said...

I have yet to experience an IEP, our little man is only 8 months old, but i am dreading the day it all starts! My husband is a teacher and he HATES IEPS! Hopfully he will be a great advocate for our son since he knows all about them! Good luck!!