Sunday, January 3, 2010

Biting the Bullet

About 4 months ago,  I decided that I should get in shape!  I searched on-line about something that I was interested in.  It was the Couch to 5K web site. With this program, you are supposed to be able to go from a non-runner to a 5K runner in just 9 weeks!   Don’t ask my WHY I am all of a sudden interested in running, but I am! 

Really?  I have always been envious of those that LOVE to run!  It seems like such an outlet for a lot of things!  So many people I know enjoy it so much!  I always WISHED I was a runner…sort of how I wish that I could actually carry a tune!  I am sort of one of those people who is a jack of all trades, master of none!  I don’t have anything that I do exceptionally well or that I absolutely LOVE to do as far as a hobby is concerned!  I guess running is  hobby so I owe it to myself to give it a try! 

I haven’t done anything about it though, I think about it often.  Often when I am either watching Biggest Loser OR eating a cookie…sometimes both at the same time!  LOL

As some of you may or may not know, I had weight loss surgery back in 1998.  I tipped the scales at just 425 lbs the day I had surgery.  After the gastric bypass, I lost 250 lbs over the course of the next year and a half!  I have gained back about 15 of those lbs and now hover around 190 most of the time.  ( I know, shocker…I told y’all how much I weigh!  Oh well.. there are worse things in the world! )

I don’t think I am “in shape” though and I think I could weigh less!  So that is why I was so EXCITED to read Bethany’s blog this morning!!   She is challenging people to join her on her Couch to 5K journey and I am in it!  She is also doing a special giveaway for anyone that wants to join the journey!!

Life with Bubba, Chicky and Nika

I will be blogging about my progress that I am hoping to start later today or tomorrow!  I really want to do this for so many reasons, but mostly to prove to myself that I CAN be a runner and finish something that I start!  Anyone care to join us??  Would love to be able to run a 5K by St Patrick’s Day!!  I would also love someone sort of local to run with as the weather gets warmer if anyone is game!!

7 comments:

Missy said...

Wow!! You go, Brigitte!!! I just bought a weight-loss hypnosis program that someone on RR recommended and I'll start it today! Can't hurt!!! I'll let you know how it goes. ;o}

Good luck on the running!!

Kaci Calvaresi said...

I started this program last year...three times. I never made it past week three and I'm not sure why because I was actually doing pretty well with it. I'm totally in and this time I want to actually make it all the way through. We are hoping to go get Ana-Sophia in March and my new goal is to run a 5k before my daughter comes home. Yippee!

Kathleen said...

I am totally in. I just told my kids yesterday that I was going to sign up for a 5K (I've never run one before) that is in our area in May and then I read your blog today. I took that as encouragement. I am so totally out of shape, that I don't know if I could be ready by St. Patrick's Day, but I am excited to get started - tomorrow :-)

Bethany said...

Yay! I'm so excited! Today is my day one too ... we can do this!

gillian said...

That is wonderful B!!!

Mandy said...

you go girl :)

Steph Jones said...

Greaat post thank you