Wednesday, October 6, 2010

October 6 – 31 for 21

I wonder………

Today I turn 40.  I know.. it’s old.  Some people my age have kids in high school or are even grandparents already.  We however are just beginning our journey with kids.  Josie will be 6 later this month and she is the oldest of the 4. 

It really amazes me how much ones world chances in the span of a few years ago.  10 years ago I married the man of my dreams… we had 4 years of infertility then Josie came along.  We were so excited to have our first child.  Then a bomb was dropped on us 1/2 way through my pregnancy.  Josie would be born with Down syndrome.  Where did we begin??  My dreams and hopes for my oldest child seemed to fade in the distance and came crumbling down around us, or so we thought!  How would we survive this diagnosis??  After all, I didn’t know anyone with Down syndrome.  I had no experience with individuals with special needs.  I was so afraid of what she would be. 

She came and she was perfect!  She was my daughter.  She taught us more than we could have ever imagined.  How not to take little things for granted.  She worked so hard to achieve her milestones, every step forward was a blessing and we cherished it.  She is who she is… She’s Josie.  We love her.  Yes, she happens to have Down syndrome, but while that is her diagnosis, it is far from her prognosis! 

We love her and everything she is  so much, we wanted another child just like her… therefore our adoption of our angel Jake from Ukraine last year! 

So while today I celebrate my birth…I also celebrate the new birth that my two children with a little something extra have given me!  I am not quite sure where we would be without them in our life!!  I am not so sure I want to know!  Things are great the way they are!

No comments: