Monday, June 25, 2012

Medical Info

Well there is some to share about Evelyn and her medical info.  It’s not anything too surprising.  She has some issues with her thyroid, her heart, and the fact that she has difficulty gaining weight.  She’s just a little bit of a thing and maybe weighs 20 lbs or a little more.  She’s somewhat active but I can see she doesn’t have a lot of energy.  She enjoys just sitting and watching. 

The director said she was just to the dr in March for a check up for her heart and has to go back in 6 months.  I am skeptical when she says that the drs have said she doesn’t require surgery.  I don’t doubt they have said it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that she will need surgery.  She has an ASD that has went unrepaired and I think its causing her stay so tiny and not to gain weight.  I guess we won’t know for sure until we get her home.  She’s also is having issues with her thyroid but isn’t on medication for it a far as I know, which could explain the lack of weight gain.  

She’s been tested for the genetic condition that has left two of her siblings deceased, but from what the dr said she does not have this condition.  We will have to have her tested again when she gets home.  I think it might be something we can treat in the US, but I will have to do some further investigating.  It’s called alpha 1 anti-trypsin deficiency .. she’s been sick with frequent UTI’s and respiratory issues so I am also skeptical if she’s been tested correctly for this as well.  But the respiratory could be from the untreated issue with her heart as well.  Right now it’s just a guessing game and we will just have to wait until we get her home. 

She seems ok, but she has some definite things we need to check out the minute we get home.  She also will need to visit a dentist and an ENT very first off when we get home.  I don’t think she hears really well and her ears and mouth smell of decay.  I looked in her mouth and her teeth seem ok, but the smell was coming from her ears actually so I am not sure what is going on in there.  It was the same smell though that I smelled at Tacuda Hospital when I was holding “little” 14 year old Faith.  So judging from that, it can’t be good whatever it is. 

No comments: